Resources on Burnout and Well-being
Here are some articles, posts, and reports I’ve written about physician burnout:
- Blog post: Reducing burnout tops the to-do list of health care orgs. Betsy Lehman Center for Patient Safety.
- Blog post: Physician burnout is real. Here’s how to fix it. Athena Health.
- Article: Addressing Physician Burnout: Individual Solutions Versus System and Workplace Fixes. Worcester District Medical Society. Worcester Medicine.
- Blog post: Back from Burnout: How a Liberal Arts Education Saved Me. Williams Alumni Career Commentary.
- Blog post: Physician Burnout: It’s Bad and Getting Worse. WBUR CommonHealth, 2015
- Report: An Invisible Barrier to Compassionate Care: The Implications of Physician Burnout on Patient & Family Experience. The Beryl Institute, 2014. (if not a member of The Beryl Institute, contact Diane for a copy)
- Blog post: Why I Left Medicine: A Burnt Out Doctor’s Decision to Quit. WBUR CommonHealth 2013; Will Solimene Award for Excellence, 2014
- Article: Physician Well-Being: A Powerful Tool for Improving the Patient Experience, Physician Executive Journal, 2013
Here are some other helpful resources on burnout:
- Resource Center: National Academy of Medicine. Knowledge Hub on Clinician Well-Being and Resilience. 2020
- Comparison of survey tools to measure burnout: Valid and Reliable Survey Instruments to Assess Work-related Dimensions of Well-being. National Academy of Medicine. 2020
- Report: Massachusetts Medical Society, et al. A Crisis in Healthcare: A Call to Action on Physician Burnout. 2019.
- Article: Tait Shanafelt, et al. Changes in Burnout and Satisfaction With Work-Life Integration in Physicians and the General US Working Population Between 2011 and 2017. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2019.
- Article: Tait Shanafelt, et al. Healing the Professional Culture of Medicine. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2019.
- Article: Carl S. Armato, MBA and Thomas Novant, MD. Physician Resiliency and Wellness for Transforming a Health System. NEJM Catalyst. 2018.
- Article: Thomas Schwenk, MD and Katerine Gold, MD. Physician Burnout–A Serious Symptom, But of What? JAMA. 2018
- Report: National Academy of Medicine. Burnout Among Health Care Professionals: A Call to Explore and Address This Underrecognized Threat to Safe, High-Quality Care. 2017
- Report: Institute for Healthcare Improvement. IHI Framework for Improving Joy in Work. 2017
- Presentation: Physician Burnout, Depression, and Demoralization, by Elizabeth Bromley, MD, PhD, UCLA Department of Psychiatry
- Module: American Medical Association. Steps Forward module: Organizational Cost of Physician Burnout (includes ROI calculator)
- Blog post: John Noseworthy, et al. Physician Burnout Is A Public Health Crisis: A Message To Our Fellow Health Care CEOs. 2017
- Article abstract: Tait Shanafelt, MD, et al. Changes in Burnout and Satisfaction With Work-Life Balance in Physicians and the General US Working Population Between 2011 and 2014. Mayo Clin Proc. 2015.
- Article: Mark Linzer, MD, et al. 10 Bold Steps to Prevent Burnout in General Internal Medicine. J Gen Intern Med. 2014.
- Article: Tait Shanafelt, MD, et al. Burnout and Satisfaction With Work-Life Balance Among US Physicians Relative to the General US Population. Arch Int Med. 2012.
I’d love to chat to see if I can help you. Contact me to set up a conversation.